2. ____________ ____________ effects how power is
distributed through the tracks to those locomotives that do not have
decoders. To make a locomotive go, the pulses are stretched on one side and
then the other, outputting more positives then
5. The ____________ is a way to control locomotives and
other aspects of the layout.
6. ____________ ____________ is the weight when the
railroad car is empty.
9. ____________ ____________ are those railroad cars that
provide protection to automobiles which are in transit on the
11. Hobbyists often use a portable and ____________ device
to control their locomotives. Simple devices have speed and direction
controls while more advanced models are on the
13. A ____________ ____________ runs faster than real time.
It allows the trains to be run in a compressed
14. A ____________ ____________ is a metal or plastic piece that is shaped a bit like a
flattened C. It slides onto rails and aligns
15. The ____________ is a term used to describe everything
in the model train setup. It includes all the model train cars, its tracks
and all the pieces of scenery.
17. ____________ is when a model train set resembles
workings of a real-life railroad.
19. A ____________ ____________ is much like a stop light.
It tells the train to stop or go, whether there is another train on the track
or if it needs to alter its course.
21. The ____________ ____________ is a white sign with
black numbers. It indicates the mileage of the track, often abbreviated
23. A ____________ is
an employee of the railroad assigned to
protect contractors or anyone performing work on a railroad right of
26. Model train enthusiasts that
enjoy making objects from raw materials (as opposed to kits) are usually
taking part in ____________ ____________.
28. ____________ are what cause a
device to complete a task.
29. Put on your coat; it’s bound
to be chilly! The ____________ is railcar used to transport perishable
30. A ____________ breaker is
used to shut down power.
1. The ____________ is an individual who’s job it is to
guide the engineer or conductor in unfamiliar
3. NMRA is the acronym for National Model ____________
4. The ____________ is where trains come together. They are
hooked together, car by car, according to the railroad’s
7. The ____________ is where one or more tracks are often
used to exchange cars between railroads.
8. Once a car has a ____________ ____________ tag, it must
be repaired before it leaves the terminal. This car is defective and could
bring damage to the train.
10. ____________ is railroad track that is straight, not
12. The main attraction of any train set is the
16. A ____________ resembles a rising curve that turns on an axis, much like a
corkscrew. It’s often found on multi-level train
18. ____________ is a standard for a system to operate
model railroads digitally.
20. In most model train kits ____________ lights are
becoming popular. They convert electricity into light without using
22. When railroad staff need a break, they head back to the
____________ ____________ which houses them with the comforts of
24. ____________ is the distance between the
25. The ____________ is the electricity that is moving
through the model train set.
27. A ____________ car transports liquids on a train. This
liquid may be chemicals, acids, or even compressed